Thursday, September 2, 2010

Legos, the great creator

This past summer I found myself diving head first back into legos.  I currently have 9 models made up sitting on various surfaces in my tiny room. They range from Darth Vader's tie-fighter, acting as a book-end to a eastern style dragon.  Over the summer while perusing the lego store on multiple occaisons I saw the Lego Architecture sets and fully thought that they were badass.  I love the use of a sparse number or selection of pieces to create a model of a famous building.  For example, the John Hancock center is made with 69 (lol, 69) pieces.  By using very simple pieces in a different way the designer was able to create an approximation of the building with less than 100 pieces.  on the other end of the spectrum are the Technic sets.  The engineering marvel they represent is awesome.  I really should invest in a couple.  An example of some homebrew technic can be found after the jump.  I was surrounded by legos on a few occasions and while looking at the architecture sets I thought that my school could use a set designed after itself.  The Virginia Military Institute Barracks should be a lego set.  It's a historical building and easily recognizable!  it would sell great as a special set sold at the book store.  However, I can't find anyway to get it built.  Super sad face on that one.  Well enjoy the video and, to cover my ass, Lego and Avatar both belong to their respective companies I just love the former and the latter made an awesome helicopter.



(I know the videos from february, its still awesome and a great example of lego design)

No comments:

Post a Comment